The house is located at 60 Province Street at the end of Bosworth Street.
Peter Sargeant built
the largest mansion in Boston in 1679.In 1716, it
became the property of the colony under the name Province House and was the
home of the royal governors.General
Gage and General Howe both lived here.
In Henry Bacon's
painting, "General Gage and the Boston Boys", the General stands in the doorway
of Province House listening to the complaints of children that the soldiers on
the Common are interfering with their sledding during the winter of the siege.Nathaniel Hawthorne wrote a fictional account
of a ball that might have occurred in his "Legends of the Province House and
Other Twice-Told Tales" ("Howe's Masquerade").All that remains of the house are the steps that led to the garden and
an iron railing, arch, and lantern.These have been removed due to a construction project, but should be
replaced in the future.