The wharf started
close to the Old State House and extended for one third of a mile into the
ocean.It was built in 1710 and could
dock up to 50 ships in deep water.Because much of the adjacent land has been filled in, it appears much
shorter today.The GardinerBuilding (now the Chart House restaurant) was a counting house used
by John Hancock and would have been located near the end of the wharf.Similar buildings can be seen in the
engraving by Revere below.
LongWharf would have been the first view, and the last view, of Boston for British soldiers.