the Puritans sought their own religious freedom, they were not ready to grant
it to others.When the first royal governor,
Edmund Andros, wanted to build a chapel to hold services for the Church of
England, they refused to provide land and he was forced to build it in the town
cemetery.The current chapel was built
in 1749 and the pew used by the royal governors is still there.Gifts were sent from Queen Anne, James II,
and George III.It was briefly called "Stone Chapel" after the British military evacuation (remember "Freedom
Fries"?).The silver communion service
given by George III was also evacuated - the current location is unknown.
You may pass through Pi Alley, which connects Washington Street to City Hall Avenue, on the way to the old State House.In
1762, a bakehouse here burned with the loss of 150 pounds of flour and around
100 pies.The name Pi might also have
come from the many nearby printshops (pi is a term for loose type).It is likely that many printers have enjoyed
many pies over the last two centuries in this location.The 10th Regiment of Foot
continues the tradition of tasty pastries and is well known for its many
excellent pie makers!